Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST CATHERINE'S CHURCH, GORSEINON,

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 13501

Map Reference SS59NE

Grid Reference SS5863698715

Unitary (Local) Authority Swansea

Old County Glamorgan

Community Gorseinon

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 20th Century

Site Description St Catherine's church is located on the north side of Alexandra Road (A4240) at its junction with Princess Street. It was built in a very elaborate late Gothic style, with Arts and Crafts carved detail, in 1911-13 to designs of W.D.Jenkins of Llandeilo. It is constructed of squared rock-faced stone with extensive ashlar dressings and green slate roofs. The plan is conventional and comprises nave with heavily-windowed clerestorey and lean-to aisles, and chancel, but with chancel transepts (the south transept with pews, the north transept with organ and choir vestry behind), and a large three-stage south-west porch-tower.
Inside, the walls are whitewashed plastered, with ashlar dressings. The arcades are conventional with octagonal piers, hammerbeam roof to nave. Fittings include chancel screen in Decorated style by Jones & Willis, designed by T.E.Gronow (1925). Stained glass includes works by A L Moore & Son (1913), Wippell of Exeter (1922), and Celtic Studios (1950).

Sources: Extracts from Cadw Listing description; J.Newman, Buildings of Wales: Glamorgan (1995), p.362.

RCAHMW, 6 May 2015

Digital Images

Archive Records