Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST MICHAEL'S CHURCH, LOUGHOR

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 13509

Map Reference SS59NE

Grid Reference SS5634797990

Unitary (Local) Authority Swansea

Old County Glamorgan

Community Llwchwr

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description St Michael's church is located on the west side of Station Road. It was built in Lancet style in 1885 to the designs of J.Buckley Wilson of Swansea, on the foundations of its medieval predecessor. It is constructed of rock-faced Pennant sandstone with Bath stone dressings. The church consists of nave with gabled south porch, outsize west bellcote, and lower chancel with lean-to north vestry.
Stained glass includes work by Heaton, Butler & Bayne. A memorial slab of 1706 was salvaged from the old church.
Source: J.Newman, Buildings of Wales: Glamorgan (1995), p.415.

RCAHMW, 8 May 2015

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites