You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

St Gabriel's Church, Brynmill, Swansea

Loading Map
Map ReferenceSS69SW
Grid ReferenceSS6379292299
Unitary (Local) AuthoritySwansea
Old CountyGlamorgan
Type Of SiteCHURCH
Period19th Century
St Gabriel's church is located on the north side of Bryn Road. It was built in 1888-9 to the memory of Jeffrey Morgan, an officer in the Royal Engineers and a member of an old-established Swansea military family, by his younger brother Colonel W.Ll.Morgan. The elder Morgan was buried in the churchyard of the church of St Gabriel in the Takazze valley, Ethiopia in 1868.
The church was built in Perpendicular style to designs of architect Thomas Nicholson of Hereford, and is constructed of rock-faced sandstone with Bath stone dressings. It consists of a clerestoried nave and chancel with lean-to aisles sweeping almost to the east end, and a gabled south porch. An intended west tower was never built; instead the nave was extended west by one bay in 1931. The arcades have octagonal piers with moulded caps and double-chamfered arches dying in well above the caps. Fittings include a chancel screen of 1914 by Geoffrey Lucas. Stained glass includes work by Celtic Studios (1960).
The vicarage, adjacent on the east, is by H.C.Portsmouth of Swansea (1892).

It seems that the present church was preceded by an iron church which was dismantled and re-erected on the site of the present St Jude's church in 1889 (NPRN 13606).

J.Newman, Buildings of Wales: Glamorgan (1995), p.584.
P.Reynolds, St. Gabriel's : A Centenary History of the Parish of St. Gabriel with St. Augustine, Swansea 1889-1989 (1989).

David Leighton, RCAHMW, 17 February 2015