Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST CATHERINE'S CHURCH, BAGLAN

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 13664

Map Reference SS79SE

Grid Reference SS7526992225

Unitary (Local) Authority Neath, Port Talbot

Old County Glamorgan

Community Baglan

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description St Catherine's was built between 1875 and 1882 by John Pritchard in a Cruciform plan with decorated style. It is constructed from coursed rock raced stone with red Forest of Dean stone dressings, and steep slate roofs. It consists of an aisled nave with a porch at the western end, a chancel, a tall crossing tower, north and south transepts, and a vestry. The striking and opulent interior includes a mosaic floor in the nave. The chancel is the most sumptuosly decorated part of the interior in line with high Victorian taste and has marble banded walls. A reredos spans the width of the chancel, in the centre of which is a Resurrection inlaid in black and white marble. The pulpit and font are also ornate.

Source CADW listed buildings database).

J Hill, RCAHMW, 17 September 2003.

Digital Images

Archive Records