You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

All Saints' Church, Maerdy

Loading Map
NPRN13852
Map ReferenceSS99NE
Grid ReferenceSS9742498464
Unitary (Local) AuthorityRhondda Cynon Taff
Old CountyGlamorgan
CommunityMaerdy
Type Of SiteCHURCH
Period20th Century
Description

All Saints church is located on the north side of Institute Street at its junction with North Terrace. The church was built in 1885, in the wake of a mining disaster, and extended in 1921 with a chancel. It is a small church, built of stone with brick dressings under slate roofs. It was built into ground rising to the west where it is entered from the main road. It consists of continuous nave and chancel, lean-to porch on the south-west, gabled vestry on south-east, and a single bell-cote above the west gable.
The church was closed in 2011. Attempts by the community to save it for religious use failed.

A Mission Church is recorded as having been built at Maerdy in the period 1884-6 which may have been a precursor to the present All Saints.

Sources:
http://www.wales.org.uk/news/2012/parishoners-give-up-fight-to-save-all-saints-church-in-maerdy/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loLSr3IvMDM (images).
churchplansonline.org

David Leighton, RCAHMW, 2 January 2015
Resources
DownloadTypeSource
application/pdfGeneral Digital Donations Collection
application/pdfGeneral Digital Donations Collection