Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ALL SAINTS' CHURCH, MAERDY

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 13852

Map Reference SS99NE

Grid Reference SS9742498464

Unitary (Local) Authority Rhondda, Cynon, Taff

Old County Glamorgan

Community Maerdy

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 20th Century, 19th Century

Site Description All Saints church is located on the north side of Institute Street at its junction with North Terrace. The church was built in 1885, in the wake of a mining disaster, and extended in 1921 with a chancel. It is a small church, built of stone with brick dressings under slate roofs. It was built into ground rising to the west where it is entered from the main road. It consists of continuous nave and chancel, lean-to porch on the south-west, gabled vestry on south-east, and a single bell-cote above the west gable.
The church was closed in 2011. Attempts by the community to save it for religious use failed.

A Mission Church is recorded as having been built at Maerdy in the period 1884-6 which may have been a precursor to the present All Saints.

Sources:
http://www.wales.org.uk/news/2012/parishoners-give-up-fight-to-save-all-saints-church-in-maerdy/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loLSr3IvMDM (images).
churchplansonline.org

David Leighton, RCAHMW, 2 January 2015

Digital Images

Archive Records