You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Church Of Saints Illtyd, Gwyno And Tyfodwg, Llantrisant

Loading Map
NPRN14034
Map ReferenceST08SW
Grid ReferenceST0464083425
Unitary (Local) AuthorityRhondda Cynon Taff
Old CountyGlamorgan
CommunityLlantrisant
Type Of SiteCHURCH
PeriodPost Medieval
Description
The church of SS Illtyd, Gwyno & Tyfodwg is the parish church of Llantrisant (see NPRN 33133) and the mother church of Meisgyn commote. It consists of a large aisled nave, chancel and west tower. It is a medieval structure, much restored and rebuilt in the nineteenth century. The nave was originally a twelfth century Romanesque construction and its round arched arcades on cylindrical columns were only replaced in 1872-4. The great west tower is late fifteenth century. It is a two stage battlemented structure with high diagonal buttresses below large crude gargoyles. Much of the aisles and chancel may be contemporary with the tower. The fenestration is mostly nineteenth century as are the north porch and vestry. The south porch is seventeenth century.
An early medieval cross slab is preserved in the south chapel (NPRN 301382).

Source: CADW Listed Buildings Database (23942)

RCAHMW, December 2010