You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

St Michael And All Angels' Church, Beddau

Loading Map
NPRN14050
Map ReferenceST08SE
Grid ReferenceST0599584945
Unitary (Local) AuthorityRhondda Cynon Taff
Old CountyGlamorgan
CommunityLlantrisant
Type Of SiteCHURCH
Period20th Century
Description

The church of St Michael is located on the south side of Llwyncrwn Road, set within a square grassed enclosure and surrounded by housing. An example of modern movement architecture, it was built in 1936 to the designs of an unknown architect at the expense of Lady Juliet Rhys-Williams and her husband of Miskin Manor. It would initially have been set in a rural context.
The church consists of nave and chancel in one with heightened east end, south porch and north porch, rendered and whitened under slate roofs. The heightened section has a pitched roof and is slate hung on the west side, and is intended to provide hidden side lighting to the chancel. It is stepped in four times with a narrow east gable end. Circular end windows enclose six-pointed stars, the side windows pentagonal.
Inside, the panelled ceiling to nave and chancel is in five canted sections, cut off before the higher vault of the chancel. The chancel is approached up two steps, an octagonal stone pulpit to left, with recessed panels, and pipe organ to right. Panelled choir stalls are in modern style. The altar is in the same style as the pulpit behind a metal rail. A small octagonal stone font is at the west end. Stained glass to star-shaped chancels, both are memorials of the 1990s: fruit and foliage to north and a dove to south.

Sources:
Extracts from Cadw Listing description.
J.Newman, Buildings of Wales: Glamorgan (1995), p.152.

RCAHMW, 7 April 2015