Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST DAVID'S CHURCH, COWBRIDGE ROAD WEST, ELY

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 14207

Map Reference ST17NW

Grid Reference ST1426776543

Unitary (Local) Authority Cardiff

Old County Glamorgan

Community Caerau

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description St David's is located at the junction between Cowbridge Road West and Vincent Road. It was built in lancet style to designs of John Pritchard: the nave in 1870-1, the chancel added in 1882. The original plan was for a chapel and vestry to flank the chancel, as the interior still shows, the chancel arch flanked by lower, narrower arches now leading nowhere. The walls are of snecked, rock-faced Lias limestone, and Bath stone dressings. The pulpit of stone is typically Pritchard but was brought here from Bonvilston church.
Source: J.Newman, Buildings of Wales: Glamorgan (1995), p.288

RCAHMW, 2 December 2014