Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

CRWYS ROAD WELSH CALVINISTIC METHODIST CHAPEL; SHAH JALAL ISLAMIC CULTURE CENTRE, CATHAYS, CARDIFF

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 14257

Map Reference ST17NE

Grid Reference ST18627779

Unitary (Local) Authority Cardiff

Old County Glamorgan

Community Plasnewydd

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description Crwys Road Methodist Chapel was built in 1884 by architect John Williams of Cardiff. This chapel was rebuilt in 1899-1900 by architect John Henry Philips of Cardiff. The present chapel, dated 1900 is built in the Lombardic/Italian style with two storeys and a basement, a gable entry plan and flanking towers. In 1988 this building was converted for use as Shah Jalal Islamic Culture Centre. The chapel is now Grade 2 Listed for its striking and original chapel design retaining considerable historic character.

RCAHMW, May 2012

Digital Images

Archive Records