You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Guildhall;civic Centre;brangwyn Hall, Swansea

Loading Map
NPRN144
Map ReferenceSS69SW
Grid ReferenceSS6436492396
Unitary (Local) AuthoritySwansea
Old CountyGlamorgan
CommunityUplands
Type Of SiteCIVIC CENTRE
PeriodModern
Description
The Guildhall in Swansea was built in 1930-34 by Sir Percy Thomas, an architect of Cardiff, in a neo-classical style incorporating modern, especially Scandinavian, influences. It comprises four blocks around a central courtyard using brick and concrete construction, with Portland stone facing. The main entrance is the north-east block, surmounted by a tapering clock tower. The centre of the block is set forward, with steps up to entrance.

Brangwyn Hall is located to the south-east. The south-west block houses the law court, which is two storey. The main block to the north-west houses the municipal offices, which is three-storeys high; extended in 1960s and 1970s. There is a central coffered arch with a low relief of Swansea arms above. The interiors to the blocks are the finest of their period in Wales.

(Source CADW listed buildings database)

RCAHMW, February 2011