Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

GUILDHALL;CIVIC CENTRE;BRANGWYN HALL, SWANSEA

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 144

Map Reference SS69SW

Grid Reference SS6436492396

Unitary (Local) Authority Swansea

Old County Glamorgan

Community Uplands

Type of Site CIVIC CENTRE, GUILDHALL

Broad Class CIVIL

Period 20th Century, Modern

Site Description The Guildhall in Swansea was built in 1930-34 by Sir Percy Thomas, an architect of Cardiff, in a neo-classical style incorporating modern, especially Scandinavian, influences.
It comprises four blocks around a central courtyard using brick and concrete construction, with Portland stone facing. The main entrance is the north-east block, surmounted by a tapering clock tower. The centre of the block is set forward, with steps up to entrance.

Brangwyn Hall is located to the south-east. The south-west block houses the law court, which is two storey. The main block to the north-west houses the municipal offices, which is three-storeys high; extended in 1960s and 1970s. There is a central coffered arch with a low relief of Swansea arms above. The interiors to the blocks are the finest of their period in Wales.

(Source CADW listed buildings database)

RCAHMW, February 2011

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites