Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

TOWN HALL;OLD GUILDHALL, SOMERSET PLACE, SWANSEA

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 145

Map Reference SS69SE

Grid Reference SS6607992929

Unitary (Local) Authority Swansea

Old County Glamorgan

Community Castle (Swansea)

Type of Site GUILDHALL

Broad Class CIVIL

Period Post Medieval

Site Description The Old Guildhall, Swansea was first built 1825-29 by Thomas Bowen, a local builder, to designs by John Collingwood, architect of Gloucester. It was enlarged and entirely remodelled between 1848-52 by William Richards of Swansea to plans by Thomas Taylor, architect of London; dated 1848 over entrance. There were later extensions and alterations to north and east sides and the interior was remodelled (partly by C J Phipps of London, 1870). The building has Corinthian order columns (capitals modelled on Temple of Jupitor Stator in Rome) and tall round-arched windows with architraves, lion masks and heads to the keyblocks. It ceased use as a Guildhall in 1934 and in the late 1930s served as a Juvenile Employment Centre. After a period of disuse, the building was substantially refurbished in 1995 and reopened as 'The Dylan Thomas Centre', being officially opened by Ex- President of the USA. Jimmy Carter

Reference: Cadw listed building database.

Archive Records