Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset


Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 148528

Map Reference SO05NW

Grid Reference SO0162558091

Unitary (Local) Authority Powys

Old County Radnorshire

Community Llanyre

Type of Site CHURCH


Period 19th Century

Site Description The church of All Saints is located near the centre of the village on the west side of the A470 road in a rectangular churchyard used as a cemetery. It was built in 1883 in a Decorated polychromatic style to designs of architect S.W.Williams of Rhayader - and regarded as his finest work - funded by the Venables family of Llysdinam. It is constructed of thinly coursed pinkish sandstone rubble with green rock-faced quoins and Bath stone tracery, hood moulds and cornices, and tile roofs. It consists of nave lower chancel with five-sided apse, tall north-west porch-tower of three stages with broach spire and south-west polygonal stair turret, and shallow transepts housing north vestry and south organ chamber, all with stepped angle or diagonal buttresses. The interiorlined with buff ashlar with some red sandstone polychromy in the nave. The seven-bay nave roof has arched-brace trusses on corbelled wall shafts, and a band of trefoils above the wall plate. The chancel has a wooden rib vault on foliage corbels carried on ringed shafts rising from a sill band. Fittings include a reredos comprising a painted foliage band over a stone ledge in the east bay of the apse; a stone font with carved detail panels of 1883 by Clarke of Hereford; and a Bath stone pulpit with trefoiled niches on red marble shafts containing carved saints, also by Clarke. Stained glass is mostly by Kempe (1883 & 1883-90), and by Heaton, Butler & Bayne (west window, 1887).
Design drawing by Stephen Williams copied by RCAHMW.
Extracts from Cadw Listing description.
R.Scourfield & R.Haslam, Buildings of Wales: Powys (2013), p.378.
Google Street View, August 2011.

RCAHMW, 28 August 2015

Digital Images

Archive Records