Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset


Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 152865

Map Reference SO29NW

Grid Reference SO2236296520

Unitary (Local) Authority Powys

Old County Montgomeryshire

Community Montgomery

Type of Site CHURCH


Period Medieval

Site Description Work on St Nicholas' Church in Montgomery probably began in 1223, at the same time as the establishment of the Castle. The original nave, possibly comprising both nave and chancel, is 23.5m x 7.9m (77 x 26 feet). The transepts were added in the later thirteenth century. The south transept is called the Lymore Chapel and the north one, now a vestry, was supposedly built by the Prior of Chirbury for his tenants at Court Calmore. The roofs are of late fifteenth to sixteenth century date.

Remarkable late medieval screens stand back to back with a rood loft over the western one. The whole of the eastern one, with stalls and north wall panelling, was supposedly brought from the Priory at Chirbury after the dissolution in 1539. It is in similar style to work in Ludlow and Leintwardine.

The south transept contains the Herbert memorials, two effigies of knights and the very large painted Elizabethan tomb of Richard Herbert, 1600. The tower attached to the northern transept was wholly replaced in 1816 at a cost of £1,700 for Lord Clive of Lymore. A view of 1793 possibly shows thatched roofs, a two-storey porch, and an embattled tower with bell openings. A print of c. 1865 shows the interior of the nave with box pews, the two-decker pulpit on the south wall and Commandment boards on the north wall. John Parker's drawing of the eastern screen in 1831 shows it with fine tracery matching that on the northen wall panels, since destroyed.
Source: Welton, A, and Welton, J. 2003. The Story of Montgomery: Logaston Press: 25-33
RCAHMW, 31 December 2007.

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites

Online Resources