Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

THE EAGLES;FORMER CHARITY SCHOOL, 41 CHURCH STREET, ABERFFRAW

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 15684

Map Reference SH36NE

Grid Reference SH3544168886

Unitary (Local) Authority Isle of Anglesey

Old County Anglesey

Community Aberffraw

Type of Site HOUSE, SCHOOLROOM

Broad Class EDUCATION, DOMESTIC

Period 18th Century, Post Medieval

Site Description The Eagles is an early eighteenth century building which originated as two cottages (the south-west one being single-storeyed possibly), knocked into one for the foundation of a charity school in 1735 following a bequest in the will of Sir Arthur Owen of Bodowen. The ground floor had the boys schoolroom on one side and the schoolmasters kitchen and living room on the other, while the first floor had the girls schoolroom (reached by external stairs, and the schoolmasters bedroom. Sir Arthur Owen had prescribed a 'school for the teaching and instructing of youth in the Welsh language' , but it is known that the first master, John Beaver, was a Londoner, and a later commissioner's report stated that the school was not using the language that had been proscribed. The name The Eagles is thought to be a corruption of Eglwys, as it is reputed to stand on the site of the chapel of the Princes of Gwynedd, although there is no evidence to suport this. When a new village school was built in 1859, the building reverted to being a dwelling, and radical alterations were made to the layout during rennovation work in the 1980s. The preachers Richard Owen and Jubilee Young are reputed to have stayed at the house.

It is a two storeyed building of rubble stone, externally rendered and with irregularly spaced windows. The openings are generally small with the main doorway offset from centre, and the modern slate roof has three rendered ridgestacks. At the right (south-western) end of the street elevation is a set of external stone steps leading to the first floor schoolroom.

Internally the first floor is reached by a set of winding stairs, with the north-east room fomerly having a small, Victorian grate and a 'gwely wainscot' dividing the main part of the room from a storage space. Also within this room is a cupboard of eighteenth century date, with lozenge lock-plates, a moulded cornice, and geometric fretwork panels in the upper doors. The former schoolroom on this floor has its two front windows blocked, while of the two rear windows, one is shuttered and the other has wooden louvres opened by projecting cams in the central octagonal mullion. The trusses are low pitched collar beams.

Source: Cadw listing description
Survey by A.J.Parkinson, RCAHMW, 18/02/1982

S Fielding, RCAHMW, 17 June 2005.

Archive Records