You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Hafotty, Llansadwrn

Loading Map
Map ReferenceSH57NE
Grid ReferenceSH5621678171
Unitary (Local) AuthorityIsle of Anglesey
Old CountyAnglesey
CommunityCwm Cadnant
PeriodPost Medieval
Hafotty is a later medieval mansion altered and added to in the sixteenth century, modified in the nineteenth century and extensively restored in the late twentieth century, when excavations and survey were carried out. It retains the medieval layout of a hall framed by projecting gabled cross wings. The house is recorded as Bodiordderch - the house of Iordderch - in 1352. It was the home of Henry Norris, Constable of Beaumaris in 1535. By 1585 it was described as a (summer) dairy house or hafoty.

The original, probably fifteenth century, house had a grand two bay timber framed hall with a cross wing at the east end. The walls of first the wing and then the hall were rebuilt in stone. There are fine hall doorways to the cross passage at the east end, from which three elegant doorways led into the wing which at this time housed a solar or chamber. A further doorway led from the hall to west. The present west wing was added in the sixteenth century. It has a half cellar and a grand solar on the first floor.
A splendid carved fireplace was inserted in the south wall of the hall in about 1530. It has a Tudor arch with the motto 'SI DEVS NOBISCVM QVIS CONTRA NOS'. The massive chimney breast rises to a small cross gable matching the cross wings. From this rises a tall diagonal stack. Traces of wallpainting patterns have been found in the hall and solar.

Sources: RCAHM Anglesey Inventory (1937), 110-111
Medieval Archaeology 23 (1979), 275
Borne & Dixon 'Hafoty: Excavation & Survey 1976-1978 (1979) - unpublished report
NMR site file

John Wiles 19.07.07