Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset


Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 15824

Map Reference SH56NW

Grid Reference SH5208769555

Unitary (Local) Authority Isle of Anglesey

Old County Anglesey

Community Llanddaniel Fab

Type of Site MANSION

Broad Class DOMESTIC

Period Post Medieval

Site Description The current Plas Newydd was built in the late eighteenth century, but it incorporates an earlier medieval house, one of those of the Griffiths of Penrhyn. The house was transformed into the current structure under the initiative of Henry, 9th Baron Paget, who used James Wyatt, having employed him at Beaudesert in 1771–2. The process took thirty years and others, including John Cooper of Beaumaris were involved. It was Cooper who carried out much of the first phase of the re-development, using the Moelfre limestone that was subsequently used throughout the building. The earlier gothic style was much reduced, particularly at the southern end where three close spaced bays sit to the left of the south-eastern tower. The second phase, between 1793 and 1799 was directed by James Wyatt in association with Joseph Potter of Lichfield. This work included re-fitting of the saloon and ante-rooms (probably by Wyatt) and the Gothick Hall and the classical stair hall (probably by Potter).

The house and its grounds stands within a large landscaped park (NPRN 265416). From about 1800 anciliary buildings were moved away from the house and are now scattered about the park. These include: the stable court (NPRN 31094); home farm (NPRN 403205); walled gardens (NPRN 15826, 15828), and dairy (NPRN 31092).

Source: RCAHM Anglesey Inventory (1937), 56
Source: CADW Listed Buildings Database (5462)
Source: Haslam, Orbach and Voelcker (2009), The Buildings of Wales: Gwynedd. Pevsner Architectural Guide, page 153.

RCAHMW, October 2009

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites