You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Victoria Terrace, 1-20, Beaumaris

Loading Map
Map ReferenceSH67NW
Grid ReferenceSH6068776074
Unitary (Local) AuthorityIsle of Anglesey
Old CountyAnglesey
PeriodPost Medieval
Victoria Terrace is a large-scale, grandly-designed terrace of 3-storey houses (with basements) constructed by the architects Hansom and Welch. Almost 'Bath-like' in style, it is constructed in limestone with a slate roof behind a parapet. Its canted plan is adapted to its position on the headland, with its eastern wing looking towards the Great Orme and its western towards the mountains with the angle between resolved in a grand pedimented block. The name of the terrace is inscribed in sans-serif on a first floor band, and there are 29 sash windows (with glazing bars) to the front, together with a 4-bay central projection with an order of panelled pilasters supporting a pediment. On each side the terrace is angled back, the left end being rounded to short return front and there being slight advances of balanced sections of frontage. A rock faced plinth is set at the base of a mainly rusticated ground floor, with panels under the first floor windows, and over a band, with a cornice at the top. The ground floor openings are uniform, with arched heads (about every third being a door of 6 panels with barred fan above). Architraves, consoles etc are distributed on the upper windows of projections.

Each house has 6 steps to the doorway which is set between panelled and moulded bastions. The railings to the small front gardens were evidently removed in 1940. A small surviving section at left end of the row is important as it shows the railings design, with elongated floral finials of Grecian type. Shorter, simpler railings to the basement areas of the left-hand return wing have decorated finials.

The rear of the terrace was greatly altered in C20, being pebble-dashed and with an access terrace built along the first floor. There are horizontal metal windows on the basement and ground floors; with many upper windows renewed and modern doors. There is a 1/4-circle rainwater head dated 1831. (R.C.H.M.13).

Source: Cadw listing description
Source: Haslam, Orbach and Voelcker (2009), The Buildings of Wales: Gwynedd. Pevsner Architectural Guide, page 108.
S Fielding RCAHMW 30/08/2005