Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

CHRIST CHURCH, WELSHPOOL

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 164768

Map Reference SJ20NW

Grid Reference SJ2212507491

Unitary (Local) Authority Powys

Old County Montgomeryshire

Community Welshpool

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description Christ Church was commissioned by the Earl of Powys to commemorate his son, Edward James, the Viscount Clive, having come of age. It was designed by Thomas Penson and completed 1839-44. The church is characterised by its impressive Romanesque Revival architecture in Welsh granite, consisting of a 7-bay nave with offset west tower, lean-to aisles, apse and south porch. The west gable of the nave has a wide doorway with triple arches with chevron moulding, while the tower is supported by massive pilaster buttresses.
Christ Church was most noted for its interior decoration, and in particular its early use of terracotta, for example in the heavily ornamented arches and font.
The congregation of Christ Church dropped dramatically during the twentieth century and in 1999 it was closed and sold for redevelopment.

Source: Cadw Listed Building Record
RCAHMW Inventory Documents

K Steele, RCAHMW, 25 November 2008

Digital Images

Archive Records