Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST CHAD'S CHURCH, HOLT

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 165283

Map Reference SJ45SW

Grid Reference SJ41215410

Unitary (Local) Authority Wrexham

Old County Denbighshire

Community Holt

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval, Medieval

Site Description condition=Intact SAM= Listing=1596

NAR SJ45SW8

1. One of the series of Stanley churches built under the patronage of Sir William Stanley, executed in 1495. See the description by Edward Hubberd, Buildings of Wales: Clwyd. The elaborately carved font has the stag's face badge of Sir William Stanley and the arms of the predecessor lords of Bromfield. (2002.11.08/RCAHMW/RFS)

2. Church remodelled in C15, although retains C14 nave arches and piscina. C19 restoration. Red sandstone construction. Aisled nave and chancel with W tower and N and S chapels. 5-bay arcade to nave with pointed arches on octagonal piers; continues into 2-bay chancel with 4-centred arches on octagonal piers. Continuous Camberbeam roof. carved octagonal font, probably 1483. C19 oak furnishings, including chancel screen and pulpit.
(Source CADW listed buildings database)
J Hill 01.10.2003

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites