You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

National Museum Of Wales, Cathays Park, Cardiff

Loading Map
NPRN167
Map ReferenceST17NE
Grid ReferenceST1835476957
Unitary (Local) AuthorityCardiff
Old CountyGlamorgan
CommunityCastle (Cardiff)
Type Of SiteMUSEUM
PeriodModern
Description
Building of the National Museum in Cardiff Civic Centre (NPRN 401617) started in 1910. Additions were made in 1932 of the east wing and lecture theatre; in 1967 of the west wing and in the 1990s of additional galleries to both wings. It is classical in style, although simpler than that of the surrounding City Hall (nprn 168) and Law Courts (nprn 31806). The walls are faced with Portland stone. A double flight of granite steps leads up to the southeast-facing main entrance; there are Doric columns to the portico. There is a granite architrave to the main doorway and bronze doors, leading to a domed entrance hall, 30m high, with a polished marble floor and columns; original pink glass glazing survives in the windows below the dome. Three-bay wings are set either side of the portico; they have Doric columns and tall windows. There is a similar west wing. A semi-circular lecture theatre is attached to the east wing.

(Source: Cadw listing description)
The architects were Dunbar Smith & Brewer.

RCAHMW, February 2011