Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

CARDIFF CITY HALL, CATHAYS PARK, CARDIFF

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 168

Map Reference ST17NE

Grid Reference ST1825376910

Unitary (Local) Authority Cardiff

Old County Glamorgan

Community Castle (Cardiff)

Type of Site TOWN HALL

Broad Class CIVIL

Period Modern

Site Description Built 1901-04 after an architectural competion for the Town Hall and Law Courts, held in 1897. The architects were Lanchester, Stewart & Richards. This 2- and 3-storey building is of quadrangular design in Baroque style, with Portland stone facing, featuring two towers, one to the west and a second to the rear. In the centre of the west front is a clock tower, approximately 61m high, with plain lower section and upper part in Baroque style surmounted by a Cupola. The sumptuous interior features a marble paved first hall floor, Council Chamber in Italian High Renaissnce style, grand stained glass window, reception hall with paired Siena marble columns, and grand assembly hall with vaulted ceiling with elaborate plaster reliefs on banding.
(Source Cadw listing description)
It is a part of Cardiff Civic Centre (nprn 401617).
J Hill, RCAHMW, 02.09.2003.

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites