You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Beddgelert Hotel

Loading Map
NPRN16816
Map ReferenceSH54NE
Grid ReferenceSH5881148028
Unitary (Local) AuthorityGwynedd
Old CountyCaernarfonshire
CommunityBeddgelert
Type Of SiteHOTEL
PeriodPost Medieval
Description
The Royal Goat Hotel was originally built as the Beddgelert Hotel in 1802 by Thomas Jones, it was renamed the Royal Goat in the 1870's to commemorate a visit by Prince Albert.
RCAHMW 2008

The 1st, 2nd and 3rd editions of the historic 25-inch O. S. maps, published in 1889, 1900 and 1914 respectively, show the presence of a reservoir and sluices to the south-west of the hotel, and label an aqueduct at the rear of the building. This suggests the presence of electricity generating equipment. The 1914 edition records the "Railway in course of construction" - the North Wales Narrow Gauge Railway on the track of the aborted Portmadoc, Beddgelert & South Snowdon Railway - passing very close to the reservoir dam and requiring another aqueduct to carry its water over the railway cutting.
W J Crompton, RCAHMW, 5 July 2018.