You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Wernfawr Farmhouse

Loading Map
Map ReferenceSH33SW
Grid ReferenceSH3231733413
Unitary (Local) AuthorityGwynedd
Old CountyCaernarfonshire
PeriodPost Medieval
A two-storey house originally built in the late sixteenth or early seventeenth century but much altered at various times. Love Parry the second (1696-1759 added a cross wing at the time of his marriage (c.1725), but this was taken down shortly after 1800 around the time of the building of the Cottage (Nprn26327) when a several features from the demolished section were incorporated into the new building. Another wing was added on the south west in the nineteenth-century. The original house is built of rubble and large stone quoins, roofed with old course slated, but this has been repaired over the years. There are tall, massive square chimneys; that on the north gable is diagonal to the roof ridge and has a cavetto-moulded capstone. The front retains its original stone-arched doorway. Inside there are large fireplaces on the ground floor and an exposed, probably late sixteenth-century ceiling beam with fluted moulding on the soffit.

(Source: Inventory of the Ancient Monuments in Caernarvonshire, Vol. III (RCAHMW: 1964))
A.N.Coward 06.03.2018