You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Bute Street, 117, Butetown

Loading Map
NPRN18171
Map ReferenceST17SE
Grid ReferenceST1908274727
Unitary (Local) AuthorityCardiff
Old CountyGlamorgan
CommunityButetown
Type Of SiteHOTEL
Period19th Century
Description
The Bute Dock Hotel was licensed in 1839, and was extended towards Bute Street in 1851, with grander frontage added in the later 19th century. This extension later became the Docks Non-Political Club, before a 1990s reconversion to a Public House.

Constructed with a classical Bath stone front of 2-storeys, the 7-bay front having distinctive balustraded aprons to the 1st floor and pierced lettering to the parapet. Slate roof and brick chimney stack. The cornice has paired end brackets over raised quoins, the 1st floor architraves include panels over lintels, while the aprons have bulbous balusters and panelled piers with foliated caps between each bay.

There is a later casement window added to centre. The ground floor is punctuated by egg and dart capitalled pilasters together with a stepped frieze and cornice and there is wreath ornament to central bays. Tall windows with hight transoms and rounded shoulders have unusual pendant-like festoons which are also over the double door entrances to either end.