Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

CYFARTHFA CASTLE, MERTHYR TYDFIL

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 18504

Map Reference SO00NW

Grid Reference SO04150735

Unitary (Local) Authority Merthyr Tydfil

Old County Glamorgan

Community Park

Type of Site MANSION

Broad Class DOMESTIC

Period Post Medieval

Site Description Cyfarthfa Castle is a large castellated mansion built in 1824-5 for William Crawshay II, the Merthyr ironmaster; the architect was Richard Lugar. It was sold to the local council in 1909 and converted into a museum, art gallery and school (nprn 31777).
The building is rectangular in plan, with almost symmetrical entrance and garden fronts meeting at a large circular corner tower. It is constructed in Pennant sandstone with coursed bull-nosed facings and ashlar dressings; there are crenellated parapets with false machicolation to the towers and weathered stringcourses to the other walls. The interior retains its main suite of state rooms, including a baronial-style entrance hall and neo-classical library, drawing room and dining room, all now used as a museum and art gallery. The extensive grounds include a large ornamental lake which supplemented the water supply to Crawshay's ironworks at Cyfarthfa (nprn 34078).
RCAHMW, 18 June 2008.

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites