You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Llandough Castle Tower House, Llandough-by-cowbridge

Loading Map
NPRN19157
Map ReferenceSS97SE
Grid ReferenceSS9948072990
Unitary (Local) AuthorityThe Vale of Glamorgan
Old CountyGlamorgan
CommunityLlanfair (The Vale of Glamorgan)
Type Of SiteTOWER HOUSE
PeriodPost Medieval
Description
Llandough Castle is an example of a tower house, a modestly fortified residential tower, normally square or rectangular, crenellated and with a single residential chamber on each of its two or more floors. They were raised between the 14th and 17th centuries. This tower house was the administrative centre of the knight's fee of Llandough which was held by the Walsh family from the twelfth century until 1444. It survives as a roughly square walled enclosure, about 24m across with a gatehouse at the south angle and a strong tower on the west, thought to be of the 14th-15th centuries, with later additions and alterations. The tower was incorporated into a new house in 1803.
sources:
RCAHMW (2000) Glamorgan Later Castle, pp.418-431)
OS record: SS97SE1
Associated with:
Park/gardens (Nprn265806).
RCAHMW AP955149/45

RCAHMW, 2 August 2017