You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Merthyr Mawr House

Loading Map
Map ReferenceSS87NE
Grid ReferenceSS8886077940
Unitary (Local) AuthorityBridgend
Old CountyGlamorgan
CommunityMerthyr Mawr
PeriodPost Medieval
Merthyr Mawr House was constructed between 1806 and 1809 on a new site by Sir John Nicholl in a classical style, replacing the earlier 16th/17th century Hall of the Stradling family. The house is a five-bay two-storey classical mansion faced in white local carboniferous limestone, with a hipped roof and sash windows, and central single-storey porch with Tuscan columns in the north front. A lower wing, partly built later than the main projects to the east, while on the west side a veranda with a glass canted roof supported on cast-iron pillars, built in 1819, runs along the entire length of the house. The Old Hall was situated to the south-west of the 19th century house, on or near the site of the Farm; remains of the Tudor courtyard now forms one of the farm outbuildings, the rest having been demolished c 1806.

Associated with:
Park/gardens (Nprn265764).