Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

MERTHYR MAWR HOUSE

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 19319

Map Reference SS87NE

Grid Reference SS88867794

Unitary (Local) Authority Bridgend

Old County Glamorgan

Community Merthyr Mawr

Type of Site MANSION

Broad Class DOMESTIC

Period Post Medieval

Site Description Merthyr Mawr House was constructed between 1806 and 1809 on a new site by Sir John Nicholl in a classical style, replacing the earlier 16th/17th century Hall of the Stradling family. The house is a five-bay two-storey classical mansion faced in white local carboniferous limestone, with a hipped roof and sash windows, and central single-storey porch with Tuscan columns in the north front. A lower wing, partly built later than the main projects to the east, while on the west side a veranda with a glass canted roof supported on cast-iron pillars, built in 1819, runs along the entire length of the house. The Old Hall was situated to the south-west of the 19th century house, on or near the site of the Farm; remains of the Tudor courtyard now forms one of the farm outbuildings, the rest having been demolished c 1806.

Associated with:
Park/gardens (Nprn265764).

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites