Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

MILITIA BARRACKS, GOGERDDAN PLACE, ABERYSTWYTH

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 2

Map Reference SN58SE

Grid Reference SN58948180

Unitary (Local) Authority Ceredigion

Old County Cardiganshire

Community Aberystwyth

Type of Site BARRACKS

Broad Class DEFENCE

Period Post Medieval

Site Description The militia barracks in Gogerddan Place were built in 1867 to the design of Sir James Szlumper. They were two storey buildings set on three sides of an oblong courtyard which was entered via a tall arched opening in the west. Built in local stone rubble with brick quoins and dressings, all the openings had arched heads with slightly projecting keystones. The low pitch roofs were of slate and the chimneys were yellow brick. Subsequent to their use as barracks, they were converted into housing, and then demolished in 1980. The site is now occupied by modern housing.

B.A.Malaws, RCAHMW, 21 May 1999.

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites