You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Whitson Court; Oratory College Of Our Lady Of Perpetual Succour

Loading Map
NPRN21147
Map ReferenceST38SE
Grid ReferenceST3712084710
Unitary (Local) AuthorityNewport
Old CountyMonmouthshire
CommunityGoldcliff
Type Of SiteCOUNTRY HOUSE
PeriodPost Medieval
Description

Whitson Court was built in 1750 probably by the architect John Nash for William Phillips (High Sherrif). It is built of brick with bathstone dressings,a dentil cornice and parapet; of 3 storeys with one storey wings and a slate roof. The central Italianate porch is built in matching materials and has paired Doric pilasters, entablature with enriched decoration to the parapet and a round arched doorway with a keystone. The interior retains much historic character including virtually all its plaster cornices and friezes, and contemporary classicising fireplaces to most of principal rooms and some bedrooms, as well as most of original doors.

From 1903 the house was a convent occupied by an order of nuns, the Sacramentines of Bernay of the Perpetual Adorers of the Blessed Sacrament fled here from religious persecution in France. They lived in the house at the invitation of its owner, Rev. Oliver Rodie Vassall-Phillips. By 1932 it is believed they had left the house for the United States of America.

Reference: Cadw listed buildings database.