Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

WHITSON COURT; ORATORY COLLEGE OF OUR LADY OF PERPETUAL SUCCOUR

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 21147

Map Reference ST38SE

Grid Reference ST37128471

Unitary (Local) Authority Newport

Old County Monmouthshire

Community Goldcliff

Type of Site COUNTRY HOUSE

Broad Class DOMESTIC

Period Post Medieval

Site Description Whitson Court was built in 1750 probably by the architect John Nash for William Phillips (High Sherrif). It is built of brick with bathstone dressings,a dentil cornice and parapet; of 3 storeys with one storey wings and a slate roof. The central Italianate porch is built in matching materials and has paired Doric pilasters, entablature with enriched decoration to the parapet and a round arched doorway with a keystone. The interior retains much historic character including virtually all its plaster cornices and friezes, and contemporary classicising fireplaces to most of principal rooms and some bedrooms, as well as most of original doors.

From 1903 the house was a convent occupied by an order of nuns, the Sacramentines of Bernay of the Perpetual Adorers of the Blessed Sacrament fled here from religious persecution in France. They lived in the house at the invitation of its owner, Rev. Oliver Rodie Vassall-Phillips. By 1932 it is believed they had left the house for the United States of America.

Reference: Cadw listed buildings database.

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites