Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset


Site Details

NPRN 21161

Map Reference ST59SW

Grid Reference ST5234891923

Unitary (Local) Authority Monmouthshire

Old County Monmouthshire

Community Mathern

Type of Site HOUSE

Broad Class DOMESTIC

Period Post Medieval

Site Description Associated with: Park/gardens (Nprn266062).
RCAHMW AP965074/41, 43-5

A villa designed by Robert Lugar in the neo-classical/Italianate manner of John Nash. It is said to have been built in 1819 by George Buckle, Sheriff of Monmouthshire, but Colvin quotes an advertisement in the Monmouthshire Merlin of 1846 claiming that it was 'lately erected'. It seems likely, however, that it is closer to 1819 than 1846. It remained largely unchanged until the full re-furbishment of the 1990s culminating in the construction of the swimming pool which has been added onto the service wing and which involved the roofing over and filling in of the kitchen court.

This is a compact 'villa' type country house with a square two storey block of the main reception rooms and bedrooms, and an attached wing containing the staircase with a lower corridor leading to the kitchen and service court and an upper corridor leading to the lesser bedrooms and the childrens' rooms.

The main block is constructed of Bath limestone ashlar, while the wing and service end are rendered, both sections with Welsh slate roofs. The entrance elevation has slightly projecting gabled wings on either side of a recessed entrance. The entrance has an Ionic porch with double columns and full entablature, 6-panel door with sidelights within this. The wings each have a 36-pane sash with bracketted head, & smaller 36-pane pane sashes in each bay above. Pedimented timber eaves on brackets, two ashlar stacks on the main ridge. The wing to the left has two bays of sashes with a plain part glazed door against the corner of the main block. There is then a set forward bay of sashes with a hipped roof and two tall stacks; this is the original kitchen. There is then a courtyard, part filled in, and a lower single storey range with a further stack.

Returning to the garden front of the main block, the south west elevation has two large tripartite sashes on the ground floor, with stone mullions and bracketted heads. Above each is a plain 36-pane sash. The bracketted eaves continue, and the right hand bay is set forward, with canted corners; this is the Drawing Room. The south east front mirrors the entrance front except that it has a third window on the ground floor and not so pronounced a central recess. This has large tripartite sashes as before flanking a large 36-pane sash on the ground floor, with three plain sashes above. The east corner is chamfered off and the block is joined by the two bay wing. The ground floor has been altered by the addition of a loggia of 6 bays. This has shaped heads to the openings, each of 3 + 3 lights, the windows are fixed, the doors are french casements, & there is a bracketted cornice and pierced balustrade above. First floor balcony with two french casements. The end block has two more windows the same on the ground floor and is blind above, two more tall stacks. These alterations may be contemporary with the house since the openings have the same heads as those on the contemporary Eastwood Lodge (qv). Return with sash windows to the kitchen court but this has been filled in 1999 by the addition of a large in-character swimming pool giving the appearance of being an orangery or other large garden building.

The entrance leads into a stairhall with two Ionic columns and the stair leading up to the left through an elliptical arch. This has a cast iron balustrade with a mahogany handrail, a panelled dado and cantilevered stone steps. Most of the joinery and fireplaces are original, with neo-classical detail, the fireplaces in white marble, but some items have been introduced in character and some, like missing doors, have been reproduced in the recent refurbishment. The secondary staircase has stick balusters and turned newels and rises at the end of the wing. The upper corridor also has original joinery.
(Source; Cadw listing database) S Fielding RCAHMW 01/12/2005

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites