Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST BILO'S CHURCH. LLANFILO

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 217

Map Reference SO13SW

Grid Reference SO1189933249

Unitary (Local) Authority Powys

Old County Brecknockshire

Community Felin-fach

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Medieval

Site Description St Bilo's church, Llanfilo, is a medieval parish church retaining an important late fifteenth or early sixteenth rood screen and loft, and a splendid example of a ribbed barrel roof. The timber-faced porch with late-medieval roof, diamond-patterned stone lintel and flagstone floor, also survives but the west tower was rebuilt in 1882. The lychgate is one of the oldest in the country and dates from around 1700. The church was restored by W. D. Caroe and described by him in Archaeologia Cambrensis 1914. There is a good collection of monuments, mostly Georgian, illustrating the local memorial tradition.

Source: CADW listed buildings database
Source: T.J. Hughes, Wales's Best One Hundred Churches.

RCAHMW, February 2011

Digital Images

Archive Records