Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST GWENOG'S CHURCH, LLANWENOG

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 220

Map Reference SN44NE

Grid Reference SN4939145526

Unitary (Local) Authority Ceredigion

Old County Cardiganshire

Community Llanwenog

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval, Medieval

Site Description St Gwenog's Church is situated within a curvilinear churchyard, bounded by a road on its west side. The church was a parish church during the medieval period, belonging to the Deanery of Sub-Aeron. It was appropriated to Talley Abbey. Later the church was a posession of the Bishops of St Davids as a prebend of the collegiate church at Llanddewi Brefi. The parish had four dependent chapelries. A fair, Fair Wenog, was traditionally held around 3 or 11 January (sources differ). It was, reportedly, a local saying that 'after Wenog’s Fair the days lengthen'. In 1903 nearby St Gwenog’s well had, within living memory, been a place of pilgrimage. At sunrise its waters were used to bathe children whose backs were weak. The well also reportedly once contained trout which had golden chains or rings fitted around their necks, but the fish were said to have been destroyed during the Civil War (this practice was, apparently, not unusual during the medieval period and continued into the post-medieval period).

The church is a Grade I listed building because it is 'the most complete medieval church in Cardiganshire, with fine late C15 roof and tower.' It is constructed of rubble stone and consists of three-bayed nave and chancel, two-bayed south chapel, transeptal organ chamber (north of east bay) and four-storeyed west tower. The circular limestone font bowl, with moulded faces of the twelve apostles, is twelfth century in date. The nave and chancel may date from the fourteenth century. The chapel is thought to be fifteenth century. The tower was reportedly erected on the orders of Sir Rhys ap Thomas to commemorate the Battle of Bosworth (1485). In 1878 several frescoes were noted on the north wall, including the Apostles' Creed. The church was restored in the early twentieth century, to the designs of W.D. Caroe. The nave was partially refenestrated and openings were restored. The church was also refloored. Interior fittings are a mostly earlier twentieth century in date, including the altar, pulpit, and pews. 34 bench ends reflecting parish events were locally designed and carved. On 27 August 1933 an organ recital was held to help to raise funds for the St Margaret's Church, Glanaman (NPRN 12618) building fund. This was in response to a performance of the Welsh operetta, 'Dewis Brenhines', performed by the St Margaret's choir to help raise funds for the St Gwenog's Church restoration fund in March of the same year. A reconstructed Apostles' Creed was noted in 1972 but the others wall paintings were not present.

Sources include:
Cadw, Listed Buildings Database
Cambria Archaeology, 2000, Ceredigion Churches, gazetteer, 48
Jones, F, 1992, The Holy Wells of Wales, P159
www.cwmammanhistory.co.uk

N Vousden, RCAHMW, 21 January 2013.

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites