Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset


Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 22530

Map Reference SR99NW

Grid Reference SR90729755

Unitary (Local) Authority Pembrokeshire

Old County Pembrokeshire

Community Castlemartin

Type of Site MODEL FARM


Period Post Medieval

Site Description Brownslade farm was the home farm of the Mirehouse tenancy on the Campbell (Cawdor) estate (John Mirehouse was an agricultural improver). It has been unoccupied since at least 1938, apart from temporary use as part of the Army Range HQ. The ruins of the original group of c.1800 farm buildings lie to the west of the site of Brownslade House. There is a symmetrical plain west front with axial approach road. The entrance leads into a large square yard surrounded by the original buildings of the farm. [Later buildings of the farm and outbuildings of the house survive to the east]. On the entrance side is the original cobbled gateway. There were cart sheds on either side, the blocked openings of which are visible, with lintels. These sheds were later (after 1838) converted to a pair of two-storey cottages with a taller granary and a pigeon loft over the gates. The cottages have central doorways between windows. Their upper floors may have been part of the granary. North and south of these are byres or cattle sheds. On the north side of the yard is a barn with large buttresses to its south wall. Three doorways facing south have flat voussoir heads. The upper storey also has a central doorway, and was perhaps a granary. This may be the earliest building of the group. On the south side are cowsheds and byres, with what was probably a granary above. On the east side is a three-bay threshing barn.

Reference: Cadw listed buildings database.

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites