You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

St Nicholas' Priory, Brecon (Dominican), Later College

Loading Map
Map ReferenceSO02NW
Grid ReferenceSO0419728436
Unitary (Local) AuthorityPowys
Old CountyBrecknockshire
PeriodPost Medieval

The Priory was founded before 1269 and disolved in 1538. The site was occupied by the secular college of Abergwili, 1541-1645 & 1660-1855 (see NPRN 17099). It was refounded as a public school, Christ College in 1853 (NPRN 25091).
The chancel and choir of the conventual church were adapted to serve as the college chapel. Ruins survive of the nave (NPRN 301834). The nineteenth century college buidings south of the chapel have subsumed an L-shaped medieval building. This comprises a 17m by 8.0m range with a polygonal eastern apse, possibly an infirmary or refectory, or else an additional chapel. Adjoining this is a 20m by 10m block which retains a fourteenth century roof. This is thought to have been a guest house or bishop's lodging.
The surviving medieval features are depicted on the OS first edition 1:500 Brecon Town Plan (1888). Speed's cameo plan of Brecon (1611) shows the layout of the college precinct including a gatehouse opening onto Bridge Street. Buildings show in the area of this gate in 1888 may have preserved something of its fabric, but had been demolished by the time of the OS County series 2nd edition (Brecknock. XXVIII.13 1904).

School includes: former Bridgend Hotel (NPRN 25113)
Nos 67-70 Orchard Street (NPRN 25966, 25967)

John Wiles 06.02.07