Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

EDWARD DAVIES MEMORIAL CHEMISTRY LABORATORIES; SCHOOL OF ART, BUARTH MAWR, ABERYSTWYTH

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 23278

Map Reference SN58SE

Grid Reference SN5880081533

Unitary (Local) Authority Ceredigion

Old County Cardiganshire

Community Aberystwyth

Type of Site LABORATORY

Broad Class EDUCATION

Period Modern

Site Description 1. Built in 1907 by Alfred Cross of London and commissioned by David Davies of Llandinam and by Misses Davies of Gregynog in memory of their father. It was among the earliest purpose built chemical laboratories and the first in Wales.
RCAHMW, 01 January 1993.
2. A renaissance style building: two-storey with basement to the north west end. A fifteen-window snecked rubble front with overall parapet, cornice and bolection moulded eaves band. A slate roof with central cupola and glazed lanterns. First floor oval windows with architraves and leaded glass. Twelve pane sash windows with raised cornices and architraves, to the ground floor. An advanced frontispiece to the centre with rusticated quoins and semi-circular pediment with shield. The side elevations have similar details.
The interior has; groin vaulted passages, five-bay tunnel roofed laboratories and an accoustically-designed large lecture theatre. It also retains a perron staircase with barley twist balusters, oval balustraded well to first floor landing with top lantern.
Source: RCAHMW file CD/Domestic/SN58SE and Cadw listing description.
C.H.Nicholas, RCAHMW, 27/02/2004.

Digital Images

Archive Records