Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST DAVID'S COLLEGE, LAMPETER; UNIVERSITY OF WALES, LAMPETER; UNIVERSITY OF WALES TRINITY ST DAVID

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 23298

Map Reference SN54NE

Grid Reference SN5792648243

Unitary (Local) Authority Ceredigion

Old County Cardiganshire

Community Lampeter

Type of Site COLLEGE

Broad Class EDUCATION

Period Post Medieval

Site Description St David's College, Lampeter was designed in 1822-7 by C R Cockerell the pre-eminent neo-classical architect of early/mid 19th century Britain. Lampeter was the first university college founded in England and Wales since Oxford and Cambridge; it was established by Bishop Burgess of Saint David's and J S Harford, owner of the Peterwell estate, Lampeter, for the education of future Anglican clergymen unable to afford the English universities.

The collegiate design is based on 17th century Oxford prototypes (eg St John's, Brasenose and Oriel Colleges); The style is a simplified Tudor Gothic, rendered, with slate roofs and ridge stacks. The plan form has an entrance tower, accommodation for students on 3 sides (with access to the rooms via staircases from the quadrangle) and a chapel and hall symmetrically placed on the 4th side. There were later 19th and 20th century alterations, including remodelling of the chapel and changes to the hall.

The Canterbury Building was added to the campus buildings in 1897, demolished 1971.

Associated with:
Grounds (Nprn302080).

Reference: Cadw listed buildings database.
RCAHMW AP955208/57

[Addition:] See the detailed architectural descriptions in 'The Buildings of Wales: Carmarthenshire and Cardiganshire' and in the listing. See also The Roderic Bowen Library and Archives opened in 2008 (NPRN 408669). RFS/RCAHMW/January 2008

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites

Online Resources