Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

YR HEN YSGOL GYMRAEG;WELSH SCHOOL;BOARD SCHOOL, ALEXANDRA ROAD, ABERYSTWYTH

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 23306

Map Reference SN58SE

Grid Reference SN5845181562

Unitary (Local) Authority Ceredigion

Old County Cardiganshire

Community Aberystwyth

Type of Site SCHOOL

Broad Class EDUCATION

Period 19th Century, Post Medieval

Site Description The former Board School of 1872-4, by Szlumper & Aldwinkle, is a Victorian Gothic design with long rear additions of 1910, a stepped array of gables to Park Road and flat-capped and onion-domed roof ventilators. Latterly repaired and subdivided it is in use as offices and a nursery school.
The school was built at the behest of nonconformists who were unhappy that their children had to attend the Anglican sponsored National School. It was built as a result of Forster’s Education Act of 1870 and is thought to be one of the earliest results of that Act.
Victorian Society tour notes, 1999, revised January 2006, D.J.Percival, RCAHMW.

Digital Images

Archive Records