Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

CARMARTHEN OLD PROVISION MARKET

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 23310

Map Reference SN42SW

Grid Reference SN4109420214

Unitary (Local) Authority Carmarthenshire

Old County Carmarthenshire

Community Carmarthen

Type of Site MARKET

Broad Class COMMERCIAL

Period Post Medieval

Site Description Carmarthen Provision Market was built in 1846 as an enclosed covered market. It was extensively rebuilt following a fire in 1929 and, save for the clock tower (NPRN 32650), was levelled in 1981 to make way for the present Provision Market hall and Market Precinct.
The market had open sided covered stalls or halls, supported by cast iron columns.

Source: CADW Listed Buildings Database (18287)

John Wiles 28.11.07

As part of the St Catherine's Walk development a new indoor provisions market was officially opened by HRH The Princess Royal in 2010, to replace the old market (NPRN: 23310) which will be demolished for the new development. The indoor market was designed by Rio Architects in Cardiff for Simons Developments and Carmarthenshire County Council. The market was shortlisted for the RIBA and RICS Wales Awards 2011. The building consists of monolithic Welsh blue pennant sandstone base, with locally sourced timber and a north glazed zinc clad roof.

Photographed prior to redevelopment by RCAHMW on 9th June 2008.

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites