Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

OLD SCHOOL (HOUSE); LLANASA VILLAGE HALL

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 23459

Map Reference SJ18SW

Grid Reference SJ1064481375

Unitary (Local) Authority Flintshire

Old County Flintshire

Community Llanasa

Type of Site SCHOOL

Broad Class EDUCATION

Period Post Medieval

Site Description Built as a National School in 1857-8 by H John Fairclough, architect of St Asaph, and opened in 1859 (date on building). It was the earliest of 3 National Schools by Fairclough, the others being at Bodfari (1858) and St Asaph (1862). Llanasa school later became a church hall and subsequently the village hall.

Tudor Gothic in style, of snecked rubble stone and a graded slate roof behind coped gables on moulded kneelers, and a tall stone stack behind on the L side. It comprises a main range with 2 porches (probably to provide separate entrances for boys and girls), and a short parallel wing behind to the centre. The School House is attached to the rear. The main range has a gabled bellcote at the L end, with a single bell in a pointed opening. The 4-bay front has stepped buttresses (set diagonally at the L end), and 3-light mullioned and transomed windows, except the R-hand bay which has a 3-light window in a lower porch. On the R side the porch has a boarded door under a shouldered lintel. The R gable end of the main range has a 3-light window below a blind ventilation strip.

Set back at the L gable end is a gabled porch. It has a 4-centred arch facing the front with roll and hollow mouldings, but without capitals, and a boarded door. It side wall has a 2-light window, and above the porch the gable end has a narrow ventilation strip. A flat roofed projection is behind the porch and continues around the rear where it abuts a parallel rear wing with a 3-light mullioned and transomed window in its gable end below a blind ventilation strip. The wing is attached to the adjacent School House.

(Source: Cadw Listings database) S Garfi 16/10/06

Archive Records