Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

BANGOR BRIDGE, BANGOR-IS-Y-COED

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 24030

Map Reference SJ34NE

Grid Reference SJ38784543

Unitary (Local) Authority Wrexham

Old County Flintshire

Community Bangor Is-y-coed

Type of Site BRIDGE

Broad Class TRANSPORT

Period Post Medieval

Site Description Bangor Bridge has medieval origins (possibly late 15th or early 16th century); it was repaired 1658 by Inigo Jones, and at one time the bridge bore this date. The 5 arches are principally of red sandstone, some areas of coursed rubble, some of more finely dressed stone; the parapet and cutwaters are mainly of yellow sandstone. It is a cambered bridge with unequal elliptical stepped arches, and full height splayed cutwaters with refuges at the top. The parapet is of large dressed slabs.

Reference: Cadw listed buildings database.

Digital Images

Archive Records