You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Llantisilio Chain Bridge, Berwyn

Loading Map
NPRN24054
Map ReferenceSJ14SE
Grid ReferenceSJ1987743228
Unitary (Local) AuthorityDenbighshire
Old CountyDenbighshire
CommunityLlantysilio
Type Of SiteSUSPENSION BRIDGE
PeriodModern
Description
A chain or suspension bridge has spanned the River Dee at this location since 1817. The first bridge was erected by Exuperius Pickering to transport coal, lime and bar iron from the Ellesmere Canal across the River Dee to the Holyhead Road (A5), avoiding the tolls on Llangollen Bridge (NPRN 24051). The first bridge became dilapidated in the 1870s and was reconstructed around 1876 on the same design as the first. The second bridge was damaged by flooding in February 1928. Henry Robertson the owner of the bridge decided to erect a new bridge on the same lines as the Menai suspension bridge, reusing the old chains. The wrought iron chains that previously supported the decking from below were re-used becoming the new suspension chains above the bridge. Brymbo Steel Works rebuilt the bridge in 1929 and it was in use until 1984 when it was closed on safety grounds. It is believed that the chains on the bridge are the oldest known surviving suspension chains still in use.

Rachel Leung, RCAHMW, 1 April 2010.
Resources
DownloadTypeSource
application/mswordPCU - Pontcysyllte UNESCO Workplace Bursary Archive
application/mswordPCU - Pontcysyllte UNESCO Workplace Bursary Archive
application/mswordDSC - RCAHMW Digital Survey Collection
nullDSC - RCAHMW Digital Survey Collection
application/pdfDSC - RCAHMW Digital Survey Collection