Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

CALDEY MONASTERY, CALDEY ISLAND

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 247

Map Reference SS19NW

Grid Reference SS14189661

Unitary (Local) Authority Pembrokeshire

Old County Pembrokeshire

Community Tenby

Type of Site MONASTERY

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description The monastery on Caldey Island probably has sixth century origins. A cist cemetery is noted in the vicinity - presumably on the site of the burial ground depicted on historic Ordnance Survey mapping, to the north-east of the current church buildings. It is probably associated with ogam-inscribed stone Caldy Island 1 (NPRN ). The monastery thrived as a Benedictine House from 1136 until the dissolution and in 1906 it was re-founded as an Anglican Benedictine house by Aelred Carlyle. The present monastery is of the Reformed Cistercian Order.

RCAHMW, February 2011

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites