Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

FELIN GERI, CWM COU

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 24733

Map Reference SN34SW

Grid Reference SN3003942305

Unitary (Local) Authority Ceredigion

Old County Cardiganshire

Community Beulah

Type of Site CORN MILL, SAW MILL

Broad Class AGRICULTURE AND SUBSISTENCE

Period Post Medieval

Site Description Felin Geri, Cwm Cou, is an 18th century water mill. It is associated with an early nineteenth century house and various outbuildings (NPRN 406737).

A mill was recorded on the site in 1610, being part of the Lloyd of Cilgwyn estate. The current building is a small water-powered corn mill, altered or rebuilt in 1805 by Thomas Lloyd and Admiral Richard Braithwaite. It remained with the Lloyd family after Cilgwyn was left to Braithwaites descendants, Thomas Lloyd is recorded as the owner in 1841. In 1879 T Lloyd of Plasybridell gave a lease to D Jones on condition of the mill being repaired and re-equipped with new machinery. Restored from dereliction 1972-5, with some of the fabric being taken down and rebuilt, the roof restressed, the attic floor replaced, stones redressed and the wheel repaired. It was open to the public for a number of years.

The building is two storeys with a loft and is constructed of rubble stone with a slate roof, all affected by subsidence and leaning to the south-west. The front (south-east) elevation has two windows, offset to the right, with stone voussoirs and keystones, the left with 20th century glazing, the right with a nine-pane casement. Over the left window is a plaque inscribed 'RM TLL Esqrs 1805'. To the right is the door. The south-west gable has two large overshot wheels in parallel, by S F Kelly of Bridgend Foundry, the one said to date to 1872, the other to the 1880s used to run a saw-mill. The saw-mill is located in a large open shed with a corrugated-iron roof, which collapsed under the weight of snow in 2010. The first floor and attic have four-pane windows, while the rear has various blocked openings and two small first floor windows.

Internally there are oak beams and joists visible, with two oak collar trusses in the roof. It is complete with its later 19th century mill machinery, the pit-wheel turning the wallower on a line shaft with two spur-wheels turing stone-nuts to the two first floor millstones. On the first floor is a bolter for grading fllour, while the loft has a sack hoist and hoppers.

(based on Cadw listing description, S Fielding RCAHMW 10/05/2005)

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites