You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Llanddew, Bishops Palace (remains)

Loading Map
NPRN25081
Map ReferenceSO03SE
Grid ReferenceSO0554030790
Unitary (Local) AuthorityPowys
Old CountyBrecknockshire
CommunityLlanddew
Type Of SiteBISHOPS PALACE
PeriodPost Medieval
Description
NAR SO03SE2

1. Anc.iron, wall ruin pointed archway residence of Giraldus Cambrenis and in 1777 was visited by Baldwin Archbishop of Cant.

2. Residence of the Bishop of St Davids, also site of Archdeacon of Brecon's residence from at least the later 12th century; ruinous by early 16th century: an irregular quadrilateral, about 90m north-east to south-west by 85m, bounded by a stretch of ditch, or moat on the north-east, elsewhere the remains of a wall about the south-western & part of the north-west side; there are remains of substantial masonry buildings on the north-west, including a possible hall block, about 18m north-east to south-west by 12m; towards the centre of the south-west front is a projecting bastion adjoining 'Bishop Gower's Well': recent clearance work on the hall block (Jones 2004 (AW 43 (2003), 145) revealed that the hall was set over a vaulted basement, 15m by 7.0m.

Sources: Davies 1873 (AC 4th series 4), 277-84 [282-4];
Cathcart King 1961 (Brycheiniog 7), 71-94 [79].

Associated with:
Llanddew medieval & later settlement (Nprn401856).

RCAHMW AP965094/55

J.Wiles 26.07.02