You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Dol-y-Coed Hotel, Llanwrtyd Wells

Loading Map
Map ReferenceSN84NE
Grid ReferenceSN8739746975
Unitary (Local) AuthorityPowys
Old CountyBrecknockshire
CommunityLlanwrtyd Wells
Type Of SiteHOUSE
PeriodPost Medieval
Dol-y-Coed is situated 0.5km north-west of Llanwrtyd Wells between the River Irfon and the mountain road to Abergwesyn. It faces south and a path to the west leads to the former spa buildings. The centre of the building is probably 17th century, although its origins are said to date from 1535. The building was enlarged to the west, possibly in the early 19th century, and to the east after 1847. It was remodelled and enlarged in the late 19th to early 20th century, and has late 20th century alterations.
Dol-y-Coed was built as a private house but with the discovery of the spa it became a thriving hotel which was progressively enlarged to cater for the ever increasing number of people coming here as an alternative to Llandrindod Wells. It was here that the original spring was discovered in 1732 by the Reverend Theophilus Evans, which gave Llanwrtyd Wells its name. The main well was regarded as the most important sulphur well in Wales, and there was also a chalybeate well; both were free to hotel visitors. The wells closed circa 1960. The building no longer functions as a hotel and is now used as offices.
The front consists of 3 blocks, with a further east block and lower service ranges to the rear. It has cement rendered elevations under slate roofs, boarded eaves and cement rendered chimney stacks. The oldest part of the building, to the centre, has a 3-window front of 2 storeys and an attic. There are flat-roofed dormers containing 3-light multi-pane casement windows. The earliest part of the present building has a 3-bay roof and was originally hipped. There are horizontally hung 12-pane windows to the first floor (replacing sashes) and similar tripartite windows to the ground floor, flanking a broad flat-roofed half-glazed porch to the central entrance. There is a panelled, half-glazed front door with stained glass
The central entrance leads into a hall with a panelled dado and staircase to the rear. The inner hall to the right is the most architecturally interesting part of the building on account of its detailing. It has moulded 4-centred arches to doorways (one blocked) and fireplace, all springing from clustered piers. There is a small fireplace inside the arch with classical-style surround and flat head.
(Source: RW Hughes, Addition to the CADW List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, Borough of Brecknock, List No. 55, 17 December 1992).
Ian Archer, RCAHMW, 16th February 2005

Associated with: Grounds and gardens (86044)
Wellhouse (NPRN 32177)
Pumphouse (NPRN 23174).