You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Y Goleuad, Doc Fictoria;warehouse, Victoria Dock, Caernarfon

Loading Map
NPRN25996
Map ReferenceSH46SE
Grid ReferenceSH4791163046
Unitary (Local) AuthorityGwynedd
Old CountyCaernarfonshire
CommunityCaernarfon
Type Of SiteWAREHOUSE
PeriodPost Medieval
Description
The Goleuad was originally constructed as a warehouse but for over a century it was used a printer's workshop. In fact the building itself is named after the Presbyterian Church's weekly newspaper- The Goleuad- and for many years remained in use as a printers before becoming vacant.

The building is contemporary with Victoria Dock, completed in 1874, and was shown on the 1890 Ordnance Survey. It is a two-storey warehouse built of rubble granite with larger quoins and a renewed slate roof, hipped to the North end. In the pebble-dashed north wall, facing the dock, is a wide doorway, slightly inset, and a further doorway at the left end. In the upper storey is a central doorway with brick jambs and flanked by windows, all beneath the eaves. A stub wall is on the left (East) side. In the West side wall, behind the abutting warehouse, is a single upper-storey window.

Source:- Cadw listed buildings and Justification statement, LBC ( NJR 15/12/2009)